[Taxacom] Disclaimer to avoid accidental botanical publication

Weakley, Alan weakley at bio.unc.edu
Sun Dec 8 21:59:57 CST 2013

Some additional possibilities to consider (all examples hypothetical):

1.  The multivolume Flora of the Venezuelan Guyana has hundreds of unpublished species, referred to as "Euphorbia species A", "Euphorbia species B", etc.
2.  If a Latinate name (presumably one that will or might be published) is already in informal use and you want to continue its use in order to be clear about what you are referring to, I have seen it done with quotation marks:  Euphorbia "steyermarkii", or Euphorbia "steyermarkii in prep."
3. If there is not a Latinate name, but a need to be clear about which of several unnamed taxa you are referring to, I have also seen used a descriptor:  "Euphorbia 'Roraima Tepui sp. nov.' ".
4. In the US, NatureServe tracks not-yet-described species in their database as "Euphorbia species 1", etc. -- in order to maintain important biodiversity information prior to publication (which often drags on for years or decades, often with no real question as to the validity of the new taxon).

Alan

Alan Weakley
Director and Curator, UNC Herbarium (NCU), North Carolina Botanical Garden
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biology and Curriculum in Ecology and the Environment
Campus Box 3280, Coker Hall 419
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3280
919.619.1101 (mobile)