[Taxacom] ICZN query

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Mon Dec 16 00:33:06 CST 2013

A millipede name published in 1924 was based on a single male and a single female specimen, syntypes. I would like to make the male specimen the lectotype and the female the paralectotype.

The author dissected the male, mounted the diagnostic parts on a slide and deposited the slide in Museum A. The rest of the body was left in alcohol in Museum B.

My reading of section 72.5 of the Code is that both 'parts' of the one animal are eligible to be name-bearing types, and that the lectotype can be the slide plus the alcohol material. I could state this formally as 'The lectotype consists of slide such-and-such in Museum A and alcohol sample such-and-such from Museum B, being parts of the one type specimen.'

Can anyone refer me to a similar case?
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate