[Taxacom] ICZN query

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Dec 16 14:35:27 CST 2013

The Zoological Code is a bit vague on the distinction between specimen and individual, since these things usually coincide. I don't think that Art. 72.5 is about this sort of case. I think it just means that if you only have part of an individual (i.e. an incomplete specimen), then the holotype can be that part. I suspect, however, that you can jump either way and get away with it (i.e. slide only, or both slide and rest of body)

Stephen