[Taxacom] ICZN query

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Mon Dec 16 14:55:48 CST 2013

Surely in such a case, responsible curators at the 2 museums would agree
to reunite this specimen's parts, and it should be either easy to figure
out who should house it, or flip a coin.  Our community does usually get
along pretty well.

Mike
On 12/16/2013 1:35 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> The Zoological Code is a bit vague on the distinction between specimen and individual, since these things usually coincide. I don't think that Art. 72.5 is about this sort of case. I think it just means that if you only have part of an individual (i.e. an incomplete specimen), then the holotype can be that part. I suspect, however, that you can jump either way and get away with it (i.e. slide only, or both slide and rest of body)
>
> Stephen
>

> ________________________________

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Montana Entomology Collection