[Taxacom] parts of type specimens = availability

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Mon Dec 16 15:59:07 CST 2013

Mike:

There are two aspects here.

First, the community ONLY needs to know where the parts are. And, yes, that
those parts are well curated and available to the Scientific community.

Second, this is not an unusual situation given the past.

It has been a COMMON practice to allow the authors / describers of new
species to keep part of the type series when there were multiple specimens.

But what is not well known, is that in some cases authors were allow to keep
part of SPECIMENS. That is, the original author as in this case dissected
the critical parts (male genitalia, etc.) and mounted them on a microscope
slide which he kept.

Charles Paul Alexander, who described more than 10,000 species of crane
flies, frequently when he had an unique specimen from another museum kept
half of that specimen for his personal collection. That was a slide of the
wing and if a male, the genitalia.

His collection is now at the Smithsonian. And in some cases, we have
returned the parts of holotypes he retained to the original museum. But in
other case, we have not as some of the collections now longer exist, etc.

The critical question ALWAYS is what is the best place for types to insure
the widest availability for the future generations of scientists who will
want to check the past.

Sincerely,

Chris