[Taxacom] Museum research decline

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Wed Dec 18 04:45:57 CST 2013

From: "Fred Schueler" <bckcdb at istar.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:17 AM
> * I have long wondered about the coincidence, in Canada, between the
> beginning of the decline in support for the National Museum (1977), and
> the publication by the staff, in the 1970s, of lists of endangered
> species and studies of climate change.
>
> There's a currently popular song about the Canadian economy - "The
> System isn't broken it was made that way," and, on this hypothesis, the
> decline of support for museum research and exploration would have
> occurred at the point where these activities began to threaten to impede
> exploitative economic activities rather than assisting them. This
> perhaps ascribes an implausible level of foresight to the
> exploitationists, but the coincidence is striking.

***
It is very noticeable that the two areas of science that enjoy
great popular and financial support (stars and dinosaurs)
have quite distant subjects. Nothing that may be discovered
about stars or dinosaurs will affect us, or cause any change
to us and nothing we do, or do not do, will affect these stars
or dinosaurs ...

Paul