[Taxacom] Museum research decline

Fautin, Daphne G. fautin at ku.edu
Wed Dec 18 18:21:09 CST 2013

Recall that much early science (including taxonomy) was done by members of the leisure class -- one need look no further than Darwin.  Of course, there were the working stiffs, such as Wallace.  But neither was considered a scientist -- that occupation is a very recent creation.  This does not directly address the question -- but it does point out that prosperity is not antithetical to scientific curiosity/drive.  In fact, an analysis I heard this week was that much DIY biology, which strikes fear into the hearts particularly of molecular and biomedical types (for good ethical reasons, perhaps, but we in taxonomy are accustomed to it -- "amateurs," "hobbyists," or whatever non-pejorative term you wish to use describe a huge proportion of new species each year!), is done by people with some training, up to and including Ph.D.s -- just in unconventional settings.

Daphne

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Curator, Natural History Museum (Biodiversity Institute)
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas 66045 USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
skype user name daphne.fautin
evo user name fautin
website: invertebratezoology.biodiversity.ku.edu/home
cv: www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/daphne.html

    database of hexacorals, including sea anemones
       newest version released 2 January 2013
hercules.kgs.ku.edu/Hexacoral/Anemone2/index.cfm