[Taxacom] open access christmas gift, Museum für Naturkunde, pensoft

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Fri Dec 20 03:02:19 CST 2013

Dear All
This is just the perfect Christmas gift for taxonomists: The  Museum für Naturkunde Berlin decided to go open access in January 1, 2014 and use Pensoft to publish their house journals using platinum open access  that includes advanced semantically enhanced  technology. This guarantees immediate dissemination of its content to EOL, GBIF, Plazi and Species-ID guaranteeing a very wide dissemination of its content, as well as the automatic registration of all new names to Zoobank.
These journals are Germany's and World's oldest zoological journals, Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift and Zoological Systematics and Evolution of the Museum für Naturkunde, Berlin, as well as the journal Nota Lepidopterologica published by one of the largest entomological societies.
This is an extremely important decision by the MfN especially at this very moment where we see a battle<http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/19/elsevier/> between Elsevier and archives like academia, mendely or even Harvard to take down copies of publications they claim to be theirs. It is also important at a moment where our governments  (eg US, EU's Horizon 2020) and through this the funding agencies request open access to all the research data produced through their funding. In a time where we need taxonomic information to inform conservation decision, our community has to assure that we deliver the content in a form, analysts can use to provide the links between our observations and the politicians. Semantically enhanced open access provide this match. Even publishing pdfs only adds to the an increasing pile of extremely difficult to use content<http://t.co/uB1989zfu1> in a world where machines could do a lot of extraction and analyses over large bodies of content that would certainly foster our case we try to make for tens of years.
The decision of MfN to work with Pensoft to provide a solution can be compared to SOAP3, a deal between the High Energy Physics, Publishers and Libraries that include 10 journals and is being announced as a great development in scientific publishing. Although we don't have one lead institutions (CERN) we have well over 3,400 herbaria world wide many of which publish their journals and thus make it a much more complex deal, MfN shows a way ahead.
Happy Christmas
Donat
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-12/pp-tot121813.php
http://press.web.cern.ch/press-releases/2013/12/open-access-publishing-initiative-scoap3-start-1-january-2014

join our family of journals and go for 'platinum' open access on Pensoft's publishing platform starting 1st of January 2014 (press release<http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-12/pp-tot121813.php>).