[Taxacom] Societal decline in general

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sun Dec 22 16:45:49 CST 2013

On 12/18/2013 10:14 PM, Ken Kinman wrote:

>  Too bad today's leisure class (at least the "ultra rich") no
> longer has much connection with the land (and nature in general).  They
> tend to live in big cities and now make most of their money by
> computer.  And when nature gets in the way of making that money
> (especially endangered species and more recently climate change
> research), they often use their wealth to fight regulations created to
> help preserve what biological diversity we still have.  So I tend to
> agree with Fred.
>
>  However, in my opinion, it really began earlier with the decline
> of the family farm (or even manors and plantations run by the
> aristocrats of their day).  You don't really have many Thomas Jeffersons
> or Charles Darwins in today's upper crust.  Like most of humanity, they
> are now attracted to cities for the most part.  And money (from both the
> upper and middle classes) is increasingly pouring into sports and other
> forms of mass entertainment, fashion, electronic gadgets and consumerism
> in general, and drugs (both legal and not).  It's mainly about short
> term pleasure or convenience.
>        And most of the ultra-rich still don't seem to be very alarmed
> about population growth (and the consequent continuance of human misery
> worldwide).  Malthus, on the other hand, would be horrified.  More
> medicine without more contraception is just kicking the can down the
> road, and the numbers of poor and miserable will thus continue to
> increase in the next few decades. And even that is optimistic (assuming
> we can avoid crippling attacks on our western civilization by cyber or
> nuclear terrorists).  Curb population growth and energy consumption NOW,
> or it won't just be museums going down the drain.  We could even end up
> burning library books just to keep warm.

* yup. So many problems have that 3-word solution - "tax the rich" -
we've done the 30-year experiment to see if greater income inequality
would solve some problems, and the 200 year experiment of unchecked
population growth, and they haven't been identified as solving any
problems, so how about 30 years of trying the alternative?

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
annual letter -  http://pinicola.ca/documents/2013_annual.pdf