[Taxacom] A little Latin fun

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Tue Dec 31 12:42:06 CST 2013

On 12/31/2013 1:25 PM, Beach, James H. wrote:
> Recently the Wall Street Journal ran an essay on the late great American WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) ruling class.
>
> http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304367204579268301043949952
>
> At the top of the article is a pinned wasp (from the Yale collection) with the label:
>
> "Albus Anglicus Saxiconus Protestans"
>
> Because Taxacom appears to be a lingering place for systematists who know Latin, I wonder what would be the correct Latin construction?

* which of these would be the noun (genus)? Google translate apparently
doesn't like "anglo-saxon," and gives

album-rum Protestantium

so if Protestant is the noun,

Protestantium album-rum

...would be what the google automatic nomenclator gives as the name of
the WASP. Enough to drive a protestantor to drink.

Wishing everyone a rejuvenating and healthful solsticial season - and
hoping 2014 can be dominated, at all levels of enterprise, by actions
based on conclusions lovingly reasoned out from first principles,

fred
----------------------------------

p.s. our annual letter to friends, relatives, and stakeholders is at -
http://pinicola.ca/documents/2013_annual.pdf

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
The 2014 Bishops Mills Calendar Festival:
Fred:
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-fred-calendar-for-2014.html
- data input
Aleta: http://www.lulu.com/content/14204755 - paintings
Jennifer:
http://www.zazzle.com/free_range_wall_calendar-158319768903951661  -
free ranging livestock
Rory: [watch this space for the revolutionary calendar]