[Taxacom] Describing the unknown sex of a species

Pavel Štys pavelstys at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:21:20 CST 2013

Formally: no special status. Actually:  taxonomically important
individual(s), worth to be deposited in a public institution as a voucher
specimen(s).
Pavel

On 6 February 2013 12:11, Daniel Whitmore <whitmore.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oops, upon second thought, the allotype has to be part of a syntypic
> series....
>
> On 6 February 2013 12:05, Daniel Whitmore <whitmore.daniel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I think it's the allotype.
> >
> > D.
> >

> > On 6 February 2013 11:56, Luis Popa <popaluis at antipa.ro> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a beginner question: when one describes for the first time the
> >> unknown sex of a species, what is the status of the material used for
> >> that? I know it is not a type, but is there a specific way to designate
> >> it?
> >> Thank you.
> >> Best,
> >> luis
> >>
> >> Luis Popa, Ph.D.
> >> Research Scientist
> >> Head of Molecular Biology Department
> >> "Grigore Antipa" National Museum of Natural History
> >> Sos. Kiseleff No. 1
> >> Bucharest  011341
> >> ROMANIA
> >> Tel: 004 021 312 88 26, 004021 312 88 63
> >> Fax: 004 021 312 88 63
> >> Mobile: 004 0742 239 212, 004 0757 096 442

> >> M.N.I.N.G.A. Disclaimer:
> >>
> >> This message contains confidential information and is intended only for
> >> the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
> >> disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender
> >> immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and
> >> delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
> >> guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
> intercepted,
> >> corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain
> viruses.
> >> The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
> omissions
> >> in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
> >> transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
> >> version.
> >> Please report any problems with the messaging system to abuse at antipa.ro
> >>
> >> National Museum of Natural History Grigore Antipa, Sos. Kiseleff No. 1
> >> Bucharest, Sector 1, Romania.

> >> The Taxacom archive going back to 1992 may be searched with either of
> >> these methods:
> >>
> >> (1) by visiting http://taxacom.markmail.org
> >>
> >> (2) a Google search specified as:  site:
> >> mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom  your search terms here

> these methods:

Prof. RNDr. Pavel Stys
Editor, EJE; Commissioner, ICZN London
Research: Heteroptera (systematics, ethology), evolutionary entomology,
aposematism
Department of Zoology
Charles University
Vinicna 7, Praha 2