[Taxacom] Use of geographic range data as diagnostic characters

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Sun Feb 17 12:45:29 CST 2013

Zoologists,

Does anyone know of a publication that addresses the issue of using
geographic range data in a species diagnosis? And /or in an identification
key?

Does the ICZN forbid or recommend against this?

I expect someone has discussed the issue of range data being somewhat like
phenotype (inherited from one's parents - both a habitat preference and a
geographic location).

We all know species turn out well outside their known ranges all the time
so it's not a very reliable data source but I'm looking for a good
published treatment of the issues...

Thanks!

Derek Sikes

--

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects

dssikes at alaska.edu
http://users.iab.uaf.edu/~derek_sikes/sikes_lab.htm

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php