[Taxacom] Use of geographic range data as diagnostic characters

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Sun Feb 17 15:40:18 CST 2013

Homo sapiens: type locality is in Sweden. Clearly a property of this
taxon, distinguishes it well from others...

ICZN Code Art. 12.3 excludes a locality from being interpreted as part of
a description in the sense of the Code, so it has no potential for making
a name available.

Of course you can add a distributional range in an identification key.
This can be a very useful information, especially if species have locally
limited ranges. It depends on the animal group you are dealing with. In a
key you are expected to add any useful information to make it easy for the
user to identify a species. This is somewhat logical and I would not
expect special literature having been published about such general
stategies.

Francisco