[Taxacom] Use of geographic range data as diagnostic characters

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Sun Feb 17 16:24:28 CST 2013

Francisco,

I note that 12.3 only applies to names published before 1931.

ICZN:
12.3. Exclusions. The mention of any of the following does not in itself
constitute a description, definition, or indication: a vernacular name,
locality, geological horizon, host, label, or specimen.

Can this be interpreted as meaning that if a species cannot be
distinguished from its closest relatives without the use of locality, then
it has failed to be properly published?

And why is this exclusion not also applied to names published after 1931?

-Derek

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Francisco Welter-Schultes <fwelter at gwdg.de

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

dssikes at alaska.edu
http://users.iab.uaf.edu/~derek_sikes/sikes_lab.htm

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php