[Taxacom] Use of geographic range data as diagnostic characters

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Sun Feb 17 16:39:13 CST 2013

> I note that 12.3 only applies to names published before 1931.

Art. 13 talks about names established later and is even more explicit in
its Art. 13.1.1 where is said "a description or definition that states in
words characters that are purported to differentiate the taxon".

> ICZN:
> 12.3. Exclusions. The mention of any of the following does not in itself
> constitute a description, definition, or indication: a vernacular name,
> locality, geological horizon, host, label, or specimen.
>
> Can this be interpreted as meaning that if a species cannot be
> distinguished from its closest relatives without the use of locality, then
> it has failed to be properly published?

This is the usual interpretation of Art. 13.1.1. For names published
before 1930 there must be a description that "denotes" the taxon.

> And why is this exclusion not also applied to names published after 1931?

See above, "characters" in Art. 13.1.1 is more explicit and excludes
localities.

Francisco