[Taxacom] Use of geographic range data as diagnostic characters

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Sun Feb 17 17:33:09 CST 2013

Francisco,

Article 13.1.1 would seem to exclude reliance on locality IF one assumes
locality cannot be construed as a character.

The glossary defines character as

character, n.
    Any attribute of organisms used for recognizing, differentiating, or
classifying taxa.

And there is pretty widespread use of locality data as a method for
recognizing etc. taxa (albeit I hope few examples of total reliance on this
information... for good, but not well explained, reasons).

This leaves me back at square one wanting to know if there is some rule
against using using locality as 'a character'.

Thomas Pape wrote:

"The ICodeZN does not deal with geographical range data as these are not
properties of taxa."

But where, exactly, does the code state these are not properties of taxa?
Many behaviors are inherited and thus have potential diagnostic and
phylogenetic value. Many molecules produced by a taxon are temporary (eg
pheromones) and cannot be easily used for identification purposes, but who
would argue that they are not characters? Songs are similar...  We allow
taxa to be named using only one sex or one life stage - allowing
potentially 75% or more of the individuals of that taxon in nature to
remain undiagnosible.

Niche modeling (based on there being physiological constraints for certain
temperatures & moisture regimes etc) research quantifies habitat preference
which is also certainly heritable to some degree and thus has potential
diagnostic & phylogenetic value.

Many would argue that some taxa, esp wingless forms endemic to certain
islands 'inherit' their geographic range based on their parent's
preferences which themselves are genetically coded.

I see that works of extant animals (eg nests) are excluded: "13.6.2. A name
proposed after 1930 which is based on the work of an extant animal is
excluded from zoological nomenclature [Art. 1.3.6]."

It seems the code has some constraints on what constitutes a valid
character, but is not exhaustive and I remain unconvinced that it
explicitly forbids reliance on locality as a diagnostic trait to establish
a new taxon.  I do hope to be proven wrong on this point!

Thanks,
Derek

--