[Taxacom] Use of geographic range data as diagnostic characters

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Sun Feb 17 17:45:27 CST 2013

I agree absolutely with Thomas in this point.

This discussion suggests that it would be useful to include a note in the
Glossary's definition for "character" to exclude a locality to be
interpreted as a character. Maybe also in Art. 13.1.1 an additional note
in this sense could be helpful to have a clear guideline.

There is a general rule in the Code that the younger the date, the
stricter the rules. So from this point it is logical that if a locality is
not allowed to be interpreted as a description for names before 1931, much
less will it be for names after 1930.

This is not the first thread where this issue has come up and the strict
treatment of localities in the Code has been doubted. I will leave a note
in Gary's ICZN-Wiki, to have this better in the 5th edition.

Gary: the ICZN-Wiki is currently offline.

Francisco