[Taxacom] Use of geographic range data as diagnostic characters

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Feb 18 01:17:34 CST 2013

Yes, but Doug, I didn't interpret the question:
>> Does the ICZN forbid or recommend against this?<<
in the extreme sense of geography *alone*, and I don't think that there is much to suggest that this extreme reading was what was meant. The fact that Derek mentions keys suggests to me that he has some vague idea that adding geographical characters might nullify an otherwise perfectly valid original description. At the very least it is ambiguous, with a bit of "nonsense" required for both interpretations, since who in their right mind would define a species based on geography *alone*?
Cheers,
Stephen