[Taxacom] Kickstarter for Taxonomy

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Feb 22 15:24:23 CST 2013

Stuart Longhorn wrote:

>I suggest is important to know how the ICZN justify the 'trivial'
>annual expense that 'now top $155,000'.
>Because to me at least, that doesn't sound trivial.
>
>Are the finances open for inspection, how and where have they been
>audited/revised? Or re-optimised? Recently?Meetings for example.
>What cost are incurred? Don't most in Western Academia have access
>to online videoconferencing? -> essentially free.Please, somebody
>tell me how ICZN spends $155,000 per year. [or min of $78,000
>alleged by Prof Dixon and reported by Prof Page.]
>Before any backlash, I fully wish to say I support the ICZN and know
>the important role played to arbitrate and support biodiversity
>issues.
>But, simplistically to fix a deficit, either earn more money and/or
>reduce/refocus spending. I wish them to first be clear about
>spending.

Speaking as a Commissioner, I know that I neither receive any
reimbursement for my time and effort, nor have I ever been offered
money to attend any conferences. On the other hand, the ICZN is
effectively run by a small staff housed in the NHM in London (the
Secretariat; see http://iczn.org/secretariat), and it is my
understanding (which may not be entirely correct) that at least a few
of these people are employed full-time by the ITZN, others part-time,
and a few volunteers. Frankly, if even 3 or 4 people are employed
full-time, that *alone* would easily account for $155,000 - in fact,
that would be a rather poor salary for anyone living in London. In
that respect, $155,000 seems like an extremely small budget, and I
have every expectation that it is all being well-spent.

Sincerely,