[Taxacom] Kickstarter for Taxonomy

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Feb 22 18:19:50 CST 2013

Stephen Thorpe wrote:

>Call me cynical, but there has been some discussion on this on
>Twitter already, and some of us tend to the view that video
>conferencing would be a better and cheaper alternative to face to
>face meetings, so I guess it would be interesting to know how much
>ICZN money gets spent on travel/accommodation/catering etc. for
>meetings?

Given the reality, I'd call that excessively cynical. We don't have
face-to-face meetings as a group, and even a video/skype conference
would be nearly impossible, given that Commissioners are scattered
across the planet. In order to have everyone online simultaneously,
SOMEONE would have to be awake at some ungodly hour in their
particular time zone. We do everything presently by e-mail, though
this may change in the near future to be more web-based. I expect I
will serve my term as a Commissioner without ever meeting most of my
colleagues in person even once (I've met only four of the present
Commissioners, and only *one* of those post-dates my joining the
Commission!).

Like Frank, I'm baffled as to where any impressions to the contrary
could be originating. Maybe they're not so much "impressions" as
"unfounded assumptions"?

Peace,