[Taxacom] Kickstarter for Taxonomy

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 18:19:15 CST 2013

For those wondering about the exorbitant amounts spent on ICZN salaries, do
you have any idea how little highly-qualified person-time can be had
for £90,000-odd per year when benefits and ancillary expenses are included?

For those wondering why the website isn't the finely-tuned machine of
perfection that we'd all like it to be, do you have any idea how little web
developer time can be bought for £1000-odd (which appears to be what was
spent in 2012)?

Achieving transparency takes time. Organizing Commission correspondence
takes time. Careful archiving takes time. Prodding commissioners to finish
things in a timely fashion takes time. And for £150,000-odd per year,
there's precious little more that I think we can demand.

Honestly, I'm astounded at what the ICZN gets done for £150,000.

We'd be better served by using our spleen to lobby national or agency
organizations to invest a bit more seriously (well... invest at all!) in
the ICZN, rather than using it on the ICZN itself.

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff
pentcheff at gmail.com