[Taxacom] Fwd: Kickstarter for Taxonomy

Brian Brown bbrown at nhm.org
Mon Feb 25 19:30:44 CST 2013

okay, my $50 are in.

Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael A. Ivie <mivie at montana.edu>
Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Kickstarter for Taxonomy
To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu

Dear Systematic Zoology Community,

I have seen zero response to Donat's challenge on this list.  Come on
people, for all the issues that we hope they will engage the community
more fully in while finding a solution, we all depend on the ICZN and
ITZN to make our system function.  Without it, there is chaos.  Don't
allow them the excuse of shutting down because we did not care.

I am pledging $50 personally,and I challenge each one of you zoologists
to do the same.

Michael Ivie

On 2/22/2013 10:38 PM, Donat Agosti wrote:
> BTW
>
> Here is the place to pledge your donation: http://iczn.org/
>
> Donat

the Natural History Museums support (infrastructure) and the voluntary
work. Our community should be able to stem the amount by our many research
institutions. In this respect, one can only support Dixon's call for
solidarity within our community.

> With the rapidly growing impact of the means of electronic communication,
registering of names, linking to underlying data and publications, there
will be changes to come, and I am sure the ICZN will face them.

> In the meantime, we face a budget crisis and we should support our
institution in such a moment. I suggest we all make a pledge to balance
this year's budget. Plazi as an organization will pledge USD500, hoping
that others follow suit.

taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Michael A. Ivie
> Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:28 AM
> To: Dean Pentcheff
> Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Kickstarter for Taxonomy
>
> This would be an excellent argument, absent the fact that the current
crisis proves it does not work.  It is the equivalent of a grocer
complaining about the failure of his business while the windows are dirty,
the signage misleading, and nothing is done to counter the rumors that his
shop is a drug house. Why are people not appropriately supporting an
institution that they need?  Could there be a problem with the
communication and administration of said institution?  Of course not,
clearly it is everyone else's fault.

mivie at montana.edu

The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched with either of these
methods:

(2) a Google search specified as:
site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom your search terms here

Celebrating 26 years of Taxacom in 2013.

--
Brian V. Brown
Curator, Entomology Section

Telephone 213 763-3363