[Taxacom] Kickstarter for Taxonomy

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Tue Feb 26 03:22:56 CST 2013

Dear Jim

At the recent Pro-iBiosphere meeting in Leiden it became clear in the discussion that we need rethink the underlying business models of our institutions. The very simple suggested way out of the open access model in publishing, suggested by a participant publishing floras, was that we pay for each of the pdf we get, similar to the downloads in the music world. But this wrecks open access and eventually kills the entire concept of building an open knowledge system for taxonomy, and eventually sciences and beyond.

So we need open access, and we have to find ways we can sustain the institutions delivering the content we need.

When I watch my budgets, both my own and those of my two children, then I observer the normality off additional spending over the last years for gadgets. It is just normal to have the most modern gadget, the newest I-phone, camera, earphones and all with a normality that goes beyond rationality in most cases (unless there is a real improvement), and it is just normal that we pay considerable amounts of money. We also pay a lot of money for services, such as phone bills, internet access, music.

But in our world, we think differently. We just are used that the services around us are free. More than 100,000 per year would download the publications on antbase; similarly we expect Zoobank to deliver and are frustrated because it does not. The good thing is, that we realize how meager the content is. And why, because we have free access.

We need a different business model, similar to science funding. NSF is not selling your products, your research results you produce and throw on an open market. No, it pays you, to create the results that will help others to  do things with it that might end up in a better crop protection.  It goes through a peer review process to make sure they can trust you to deliver something of value.

Similarly, we need to pay the institutions we need and we trust upfront so that they deliver the content we need. The Natural History Museum in London is probably one of the biggest supporter of this ide by providing space for the ICZN, provide them access to one of the world's foremost  natural history library, provide them IT support. The US NSF decided to fund  GNA and Zoobank. But we want more, we want to have a vibrant Zoobank that is the reliable source we want, we can link to and can make an integral part of any modern publication.

It seems to me that if each of us pays some money to ICZN then we only do the logic step: Instead of paying for downloading for a new piece of music we just pay once a year a fee that we can download as much content as possible

In the meantime, we can and have to talk to our administration that they support ICZN, that they help to share the burden to maintain it. It is very clear that our governments discover the value of digital content, why else would have Obama's office decided on February 22 that all publicly funded data (and publications) have to become open access? Here it is explicit:

"In addition to addressing the issue of public access to scientific publications, the memorandum requires that agencies start to address the need to improve upon the management and sharing of scientific data produced with Federal funding. Strengthening these policies will promote entrepreneurship and jobs growth in addition to driving scientific progress. Access to pre-existing data sets can accelerate growth by allowing companies to focus resources and efforts on understanding and fully exploiting discoveries instead of repeating basic, pre-competitive work already documented elsewhere." Jon Holdren, Director of OSTP

I think, we all have to contribute and can no longer complain about others doing a dismal job. The way we do our science changes, so the way we do our business has to change as well to accommodate our cool new world

Donat