[Taxacom] Kickstarter for Taxonomy

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 07:14:37 CST 2013

Thanks for this Donat. I must admit to being at a complete loss as to
how to respond. It honestly never occurred to me that the very
foundation of taxonomy would find itself in a situation like this. I
had just assumed that the community would always look after its Code
and that every few years we would give up some time, pay for some
travel, get together, have a few drinks and argue about what was in
the Code, vote on having a vote, vote, and then publish and live with
the decisions. Well, at least until the next get together.

Obviously there are costs all along the way, preparation and
publication of the code, editorial and publication of proposals, etc.
I know memberships, committees, purchases and subscriptions are
involved, and I suspect very strong in-kind and probably cash support
from some institutions, but I am embarrassed to say I do not know any
of the detail and had just taken it for granted that the system works,
has always worked and would always work. I had assumed the system to
be self-healing, so that if one institution was unable to contribute
for some reason, another, or others, would step in to take its place.
Now I am a little less complacent and a little more worried.

But I suspect you are also talking also about scientific publication
and open access in general. This is also important, but a much, much
bigger topic.

jim

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc