[Taxacom] The Plant List: Errors and Omissions-1

Dr Gurcharan Singh singhg at sify.com
Mon Jan 28 07:17:36 CST 2013

Agreed there are problems to be sorted out, but I find difficult to
convince non-taxonomist colleagues who often point out that this particular
name is unresolved. My advise to them "It is their (the Compilers of The
Plant List) problem, if they can't resolve the name. You just follow the
recent Floras, GRIN, eFloras which are luckily updated regularly".
    Every taxonomist knows that whenever a subspecies or variety is
recognised within a species, autonym gets established automatically. The
Plant List has great majority of autonyms missing from their list. I find
no reason for wrong citation of autonyms, when they are correctly cited in
GRIN. When there is huge number of unresolved names, I find no
justification for listing combination binomials without the basionym. They
just show the basic flaws in planning rather than the paucity of funds or
man power.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College