[Taxacom] plant without ID in cultivation: Icacinaceae: Calatola

Wallnöfer Bruno bruno.wallnoefer at NHM-WIEN.AC.AT
Mon Jan 28 07:45:42 CST 2013

Dear colleagues,

I have been asked to post any results to the list-members:

As indicated by John L. Clark (The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa) in an off-list message, the mystery shrub looks to him like Calatola in the Icacinaceae.

I had already checked Icacinaceae in our herbarium (W) but I missed Calatola because it is not well represented here (see below).

I studied the specimen and the literature again: now I'm sure: the cultivated plant belongs with certainty to Icacinaceae sensu lato and most likely to Calatola (or perhaps to a closely related genus in the paleotropics)!

Eight species have been described in Calatola so far. This genus is still in urgent need of a comprehensive revision, as are the Icacinaceae as a whole (a family which is indeed a beautiful "can of worms" which should be reopened by someone)! Very unfortunately, Calatola is represented in our herbarium (W) by only two badly pressed specimens of C. costaricensis in fruit. Thus, there isn't enough material here to compare with.

Some features are still irritating me: flowers are said to be 4-merous and pistillodes (ovary rudiments) to be missing in male flowers (Sleumer 1942, Nat. Pflanzenfam. 20b). Our cultivated plant shows, however, (4-) 5 (very rarely also 6) petals and a tiny, slightly stipitate ovary rudiment! In addition male flowers are glabrous inside. The leaves are reported to dry always dark, but those of our cultivated plant are still green when dry!

With best wishes from (a snowy) Vienna,

BW

Dr. Bruno Wallnöfer

Curator of the Vascular Plant Collections
Naturhistorisches Museum
Botanische Abteilung
Burgring 7
A-1010 Wien (Vienna)