[Taxacom] documented use of occurrence data

Shorthouse, David davidpshorthouse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:15:59 CST 2013

"What you are doing and why?" - purely academic at this stage.

We've (sensu lato) been sharing digitized occurrence data for decades
now and I'd like to think that this work has played a big part in
reshaping government policy at a regional, State/Province, or National
level. If it has, there must be some examples. I'd like to see
evidence that counting the beans has affected the bean counters as it
were.

Here's an example of my thought processes:

Because government funding for collections in many countries has
become more competitive, museums are looking to the private sector for
support. If these clients were environmental consultants who work on
behalf of industry - many do collect specimens after all - they follow
government policy with regard to the publication of their reports.

So...

Where in these government policies is there mention of deposition of
specimens, associated occurrence data, etc.? In other words, can we
tie changes in policy to the advent of accessible occurrence data?

David