[Taxacom] plant without ID in cultivation: mystery resolved: it is Icacinaceae, Rhyticaryum from Estern Asia

Wallnöfer Bruno bruno.wallnoefer at NHM-WIEN.AC.AT
Tue Jan 29 08:47:05 CST 2013

Dear colleagues,

For those of you interested on that strange Icacinaceae cultivated here in Vienna:

I had already vaguely suspected that it could be a member of the paleotropic flora.

Rodrigo Duno de Stefano (Mérida, Yucatán, México) and Tim M.A. Utteridge (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew) directed my attention to the genus Rhyticaryum which occurs in Eastern Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. Its description in Flora Malesiana, vol. 7 (compiled by Sleumer) matches very well our plant! The flowers are 4-5-merous and there is a hairy pistillode in the male ones!
Very unfortunately we have no specimens of that genus in our herbarium but you can see some types at: http://www.europeana.eu/portal/search.html?query=Rhyticaryum

The venation and color of dry leaves shown there coincides perfectly!
To the contrary, leaves of Calatola are drying dark brown to blackish!

According to Flora Malesiana, the genus Rhyticaryum contains 12 species. The key presented there seems to be imperfect and it is quite difficult to use without having any specimens at hand to compare with. It could be either R. gracile or R. racemosum.

Thanks to all of you who helped to solve the problems around this puzzling plant! I learned quite a lot!

With best wishes from (a rainy) Vienna,

BW
Dr. Bruno Wallnöfer
Curator of the Vascular Plant Collections
Naturhistorisches Museum
Botanische Abteilung
Burgring 7
A-1010 Wien (Vienna)