[Taxacom] documented use of occurrence data

John Shuey jshuey at TNC.ORG
Tue Jan 29 08:54:09 CST 2013

I pondered this a bit, and perhaps the best example is probably from Florida where billions have been expended to implement a statewide conservation plan that was underpinned by Heritage occurrence data.  The latest news is at http://floridawaterlandlegacy.org/index.php

There was a similar effort a few years ago in New Jersey - but nothing pops up easily when I google it.

Iowa recently passed a funding initiative that devotes a significant portion of proceeds from any "new" sales tax increases toward conservation designed to implement a similar plan.  This hasn't yet produced any money, but it is a start.
______

It's worth noting that the occurrence data that underpins these are a bit different than perhaps you are interested in.  Yes, herbarium and zoology collections data are included in the NatureSeve data, but their data are biased towards recent extant occurrences that identify real places that have the potential to conserve viable populations and ecosystems.  Often, these older data point people to historic occurrence sites which are then re-evaluated to determine conservation worthiness.  The NatureServe database was specifically created to support conservation initiatives and priorities in countries around the world.  NatureServe is active in all US states, and in parts of Latin America.

You might also look at Conservation International's "hot spots" analyses around the world.  These do include more traditional occurrence data along with rapid ecological survey data to identify ecoregional centers of endemism, but not specific sites that still support the assemblages.  These also produced a number of new national parks around the world.

John

John A Shuey
Director of Conservation Science

jshuey at tnc.org
317.829.3898 - direct
317.951.8818 - front desk
317.917.2478 - Fax

nature.org

The Nature Conservancy
Indiana Field Office
620 E. Ohio St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202

-----Original Message-----
From: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu [mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Fred Schueler
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 4:29 PM
To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] documented use of occurrence data

Quoting "Shorthouse, David" <davidpshorthouse at gmail.com>:

> "What you are doing and why?" - purely academic at this stage.
>
> We've (sensu lato) been sharing digitized occurrence data for decades
> now and I'd like to think that this work has played a big part in
> reshaping government policy at a regional, State/Province, or National
> level. If it has, there must be some examples. I'd like to see
> evidence that counting the beans has affected the bean counters as it
> were.

* you find me immersed in this - the Canadian 'Species at Risk'
procedure depends on defining 'critical habitat' (destined for some degree of protection or remediation) which in the case of most at-risk Unionid mussels are GIS-defined reaches of rivers with one or more occurrence records along them. Todd Morris <Todd.Morris at dfo-mpo.gc.ca> could point you at webpages or documents that exemplify or expound this - all the ones I'm working with now are preliminary and are stamped "do not circulate."

fred schueler

> Here's an example of my thought processes:
>
> Because government funding for collections in many countries has
> become more competitive, museums are looking to the private sector for
> support. If these clients were environmental consultants who work on
> behalf of industry - many do collect specimens after all - they follow
> government policy with regard to the publication of their reports.
>
> So...
>
> Where in these government policies is there mention of deposition of
> specimens, associated occurrence data, etc.? In other words, can we
> tie changes in policy to the advent of accessible occurrence data?
>
> David

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
          http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm