[Taxacom] Journal of Hymenoptera Research

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Wed Jan 30 23:50:05 CST 2013

The most recent issue of the Journal of Hymenoptera Research (http://tinyurl.com/bhc6x6n  ) includes a summary of the first two years of the International Society of Hymenopterists journal to the Open Access publisher Pensoft.  The striking figure is the increase of the printed number of pages from the first year (which is around the average of the previous number of published pages) to the second with almost the doubled page numbers. Though I hope that this is a trend, the time will tell.

What I would like to see are some basic financial details on how  this is being managed, assuming that more pages also means more costs, and how ISH is dealing with this issue. If this move is sustainable, then it might set a precedence for other domain specific society journals to move into the open access publishing field and thus serve their members best.

Donat