[Taxacom] Journal of Hymenoptera Research

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:56:04 CST 2013

Excellent question — please share whatever response you get. "Little"
societies face big problems getting their journals published well and
financially efficiently. One of the biggest problems is the lack of
expertise within the societies regarding modern publishing. The officers
usually "grew up" working with the standard commercial publishing world,
and simply don't know about anything else. This tends to lead to just
accepting the default option of an attractively-sold package by a
commercial publisher.

We just saw The Crustacean Society do this a few years ago. They dropped
Allen Press (for a variety of reasons), giving them the opportunity to make
changes easily. But, instead of looking into Open Access options, they
accepted an offer from Brill, so their content is thoroughly paywalled.
Their decision was based, it seems, not on a consideration of the options
available, but out of ignorance by the executive group of the society that
there _were_ any options besides the standard commercial publishers.

Having successful models in place (with the financial information that
society officers would need to begin thinking about the options) would be
very helpful in luring other groups over to the Light Side of the Universe
:)

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff