[Taxacom] Journal of Hymenoptera Research

Moretzsohn, Fabio Fabio.Moretzsohn at tamucc.edu
Thu Jan 31 14:58:58 CST 2013

Interesting thread! I'm the managing editor of the American Malacological Bulletin, published by a small society (American Malacological Society) through a commercial publisher. I would be very interested in learning more about Open Access options, including some successful models. As Dean correctly mentioned, many societies, including mine, just keep the status quo because they don't know other alternatives--or are not informed of a model that would allow the society to continue to survive AND publish their journals in Open Access. Currently, it is the belief of many that small society journals are only possible through a paid model, and that if the journal is published in open access few members would be compelled to pay dues, and thus, the society would be in financial trouble.

I would appreciate suggestions of papers, websites and other resources on the topic, so that I can learn more and perhaps help my society to move toward an open model.

Thanks,
Fabio

Fabio Moretzsohn, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Scientist
Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
Managing Editor, American Malacological Bulletin
Managing Editor, GulfBase.org
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5869, Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869
Phone: (361) 825-3230; Fax: (361) 825-2050
fabio.moretzsohn [at] tamucc.edu
Please consider the environment before printing this email.  Think Green!