[Taxacom] To those in charge of herbaria in the US - the annnual survey of progress in digitization

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Thu Jul 11 13:08:53 CDT 2013

Once again I am asking, on behalf of the US Virtual Herbarium (USVH) project, that those in charge of herbaria in the USA  complete a survey of their holdings and progress towards digitization BY SEPTEMBER 15, 2013. Earlier is better. We are trying to obtain data from ALL herbaria, whether or not listed in Index herbariorum and whether or not they have begun digitizing their specimens [Digitizing encompasses databasing, imaging, georeferencing, providing online access]. Data from the previous surveys have been used in grant proposals, to obtain more institutional support, and to help demonstrate the activity of a given herbarium.

The survey has been created in Google Forms and is at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xcY-mT7r8VQ14io6wgu9FXEo1ZQc4GBGPsBl9FdnpjI/viewform.  This format allows you to read all the questions before starting to answer. It is also possible to fill in the easy questions and then come back and complete it later. The other advantage is that the answers will be entered into a spreadsheet as they are received. The spreadsheet will public so that anyone will be able to view or download a copy for their own use. Use "Unknown" or "Not applicable" where appropriate.

You can also help by sharing the link to the survey with those in other US herbaria. Many of those in charge of herbaria do not subscribe to either Taxacom or Herbaria and we really want to reach ALL US herbaria. Please forward this message (or the one going out to the herbaria listserve) to anyone you think might not otherwise see it.

This is the first time that I have used Google Forms. If there is a problem, please let me know.

Mary Barkworth, Co-Chair
US Virtual Herbarium Project

The link again: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xcY-mT7r8VQ14io6wgu9FXEo1ZQc4GBGPsBl9FdnpjI/viewform