[Taxacom] Blind-snakes Australia - 2-3 times as many as thought....

Raymond Hoser - The Snakeman viper007 at live.com.au
Thu Jul 11 19:01:47 CDT 2013

Thanks for the kind comments Stephen.

Oversplitting of genera is a matter of opinion.

There was a time when pretty much every snake on earth was
placed in the genus “Coluber”, but thankfully those days have now passed.

For the Blindsnakes, until 2012, pretty much all were placed
in the genera Typhlops and Ramphotyphlops even though there were clades with
divergences measuring over 60 million years and with the same genus name, which
if they were mammals, would be placed in different families.

I thought I was conservative for busting up just to the
genus level and if you cared to read the paper in question, my splits were
generally of clades divided at least 30 MYA which is perfectly reasonable for a
genus-level split in vertebrates (in my humble opinion).

But by all means, if you want to keep calling every
blindsnake in Australia Ramphotyphlops, we will have to agree to disagree, but
for what it’s worth you are entitled to do so and I won’t stop you.

All the best

Snakebustersâ - Australia's best reptilesâ

The only hands-on reptilesâ shows that lets people hold the animalsâ.

Reptile partiesâ, events, courses
Phones: 9812 3322

0412 777 211