[Taxacom] On genera, splitting and ranking

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 17:48:25 CDT 2013

Chris,

      Oh, I agree that taxonomic classifications are subjective, but that seems preferable to putting them in an objective "strait jacket" based on age.  You might get a little more information (age of origin), but I think most people are more concerned about stability and usefulness (and thus will continue to reject Hennig's suggestion).

      If the entomologists want to establish an age of origin criterion for Class Insecta, be my guest.  But I don't see much of a problem if a mammal family is much younger than an insect family, and the latter much younger than a bacterial family.  It's only a problem if one is overly concerned with their ages of origin (which most people clearly are not).  Bacteriologists might want to try to establish an age criterion for prokaryotic ranks as well.  Would be interesting to see how successful it would be within those groups.  However, I cannot imagine a single age criterion working across all organisms, as the cost (instability and loss of usefulness) would far outweigh the benefit (knowing a taxon's age of origin directly from its rank).

                    -------------Ken Kinman