[Taxacom] On genera

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sun Jul 14 16:17:15 CDT 2013

Stephen:

Only with "some" taxa I said. I have to reply that it is a straw man to
imply I implied it applied across the board. This kind of talking past
each other starts arguments, and we don't want that on Taxacom, right?
No, no.

The gist of this short exchange merely reveals the depth of dependence
on mechanical classification entrenched in taxonomic thought. If
evolution is to be a major element in classification, hypotheses are
needed and that takes imagination and willingness to advance
nonphylogenetic hypotheses in the face of an army of well-funded
cladists.

Richard

Richard H. Zander
<http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/>  and
<http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm>
<http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm>
UPS and FedExpr -  MBG, 4344 Shaw Blvd, St. Louis 63110 USA