[Taxacom] new species based on expedition material

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Thu Jul 18 13:51:06 CDT 2013

Yes, Michael,

those are interesting statistics, and,
yes, it would be nice to try to get others like it.

The problem is the lack of good comprehensive species databases, etc.

I will give you two examples, just based on Diptera (Flies) information for
our Systema Dipterorum (www.diptera.org):

Rene Malaise (a Swedish entomologist) invented the "Malaise Fly Trap," and
during one field season in northeastern Burma, collection thousands of
insects. From those, over 500 new species of flies have been described so
far. Many more wasps, beetles, etc., have also been described, but without
good databases to search, who knows.

Fritz Plaumann (a German entomologist) was a professional collection in
southeastern Brazil (Santa Catarina), again about a new thousand species of
flies have been described from Nova Teutonia, but who know how many more
wasps, moths, beetles, etc., were also described.

Yes, some day when museum collections are fully digitalized, etc., one will
be able to simply query "Burma / Kambaiti" or "Brazil / Nova Teutonia" and
we will see that Rene Malaise and Fritz Plaumann collected and I know they
will surpass those totals for Bates and Wallace [better technology!].

Oh, well ...

Sincerely,

Chris Thompson