[Taxacom] BioNames

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sat Jun 1 03:30:07 CDT 2013

Dear All,

I've released "BioNames", a database of animal (and other ICZN) names linked, wherever possible, to either a digital identifier for the publication that described it, or (even better) the full text (from BioStor and other digital archives). I've wrapped this an interface built with Ryan Schrenk (whose elegant work was funded by EOL). BioNames combines data from ION, BHL, CrossRef, Mendeley, GBIF, NCBI, EOL (yes, a veritable acronym soup) to make something I hope people find useful.

The web site is here: http://bionames.org

It's basic (this was built to a deadline) but functional (albeit with the usual issues concerning gaps and errors). There's a blog post about it here: http://iphylo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/bionames-now-live-report-on-project.html

If you want some quick links into interesting pages, try:

http://bionames.org/taxa/gbif/2432946  (make sure you click on the "bibliography tab")

http://bionames.org/authors/R%20D%20Price

http://bionames.org/authors/R%20Mesibov

http://bionames.org/taxa/ncbi/261974