[Taxacom] BioNames

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Sat Jun 1 07:59:52 CDT 2013

Interesting Rod,

you say that BioNames is a database of ANIMAL (and other ICZN) names ...

So, my first attempt with one of my favorite fly names generate a plant
name.

Try Cepa Thompson 2007, a small neotropical genus of flower flies. And you
get as its author Kuntze 1891 and included the species "cunninghamii Lindl."
which are onion of Alliaceae, etc.

At least Species2000 and IT IS get it right.

And what also interested me was that the EoL link to its type species, Cepa
alex (Thompson 1999)
http://eol.org/pages/85361/overview was not picked up, etc.

You did better with Eristalis gatesi, but still the EoL link is not there.
So, for the common users, going directly to EoL is the best generic source
of overall information.

And then there is Stephen's comment of:
What I don't find is the "honourable thing to do", i.e., link to sites with
better data than you have got, so the user can actually end up somewhere
useful ...

So, if you had properly used the data from our Systema Dipterorum from which
ALL others have taken name information but from various earlier versions,
you would have got the best and most recent information on this fly, etc.

Oh, well ...

Chris

from home