[Taxacom] BioNames

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Jun 1 19:01:43 CDT 2013

Hi Rod,

Well done!  My initial reaction is that for me it's going to give me quick
serendipitous discoveries (I was offered a paper on Micronereis that I'd
never checked out), and lots of leads that I can choose or not to follow.

Some things noticed.

The interface is very minimalist! Shouldn't you acknowledge and provide
links to the data suppliers on the home page?

Where 'source' is given as just the logo of GBIF and NCBI shouldn't there
be the actual link underneath?

Dealing with homonyms.  I tried 'Nereis' and BioNames gave me five. But
the literature listed as bibliography was the same 41 in each.  The
Heliconiid Nereis had no relevant refs.

Accidental references. This paper on Gophers turns up in the initial 152
articles offered on Nereis. The connection is because the end of the
previous paper in the pdf mentions Nereis.
http://bionames.org/references/2e30b9c73cc529d9b5e1079565daf484

Abbreviated titles on the search page. About 25 characters of the title
are displayed. Which isn't enough. Would be good to see the full title by
hovering over it, rather than opening another page.

But hours of fun awaits. Thanks for doing this.

Geoff