[Taxacom] BioNames

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jun 1 19:34:29 CDT 2013

Looking more closely at the random example of Graphopsocus (http://bionames.org/search/Graphopsocus), and comparing to Wikispecies (http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Graphopsocus), I make the following additional comments:

(1) The impression one gets from BioNames is that the genus contains 4 species. Actually, it contains 23 species, and one of your four species (G. uniformis) is currently placed in the genus Stenopsocus (see http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stenopsocus_uniformis). More of a mystery is that your data sources have more names than just your 4, e.g. ION (http://www.organismnames.com/query.htm?q=Graphopsocus&searchType=simple&so=a0&pp=20) has 9 (but with various spelling mistakes). Similarly, the BHL bibliography for the genus (http://biodiversitylibrary.org/name/Graphopsocus) returns many more publications than you do!

(2) You *don't* actually link to the original description for the genus, even though it is available on BHL (see the Wikispecies page)!

(3) What you do get from Wikispecies, but not from BioNames, is some informative overview of the diversity of the genus. Related to this point, I hate to think what one would get from BioNames for megadiverse genera like Agrilus or Onthophagus (each with over 2500 spp.)! Probably, one would get drowned in irrelevant/low relevance publications! (I haven't tried searching for these, BTW) Also, how would BioNames handle generic names like Do or Bob? Badly, I expect ...

Still, keep up the work ...

Cheers, Stephen