[Taxacom] BioNames

Raymond Hoser Snakeman Snakebusters Reptile Parties viper007 at live.com.au
Sun Jun 2 02:01:26 CDT 2013

Actually, I was hoping Wolfgang, Wulf, Brian and O'Shea may have a go as they seem to be after "Kudos" ...
It could keep them "distracted" and out of everyone's hair for years!

All the best

Snakebustersâ - Australia's best reptilesâ

The only hands-on reptilesâ shows that lets people hold the animalsâ.

Reptile partiesâ, events, courses
Phones: 9812 3322

0412 777 211

"I hate to think what one would get from BioNames for megadiverse genera like Agrilus or Onthophagus (each with over 2500 spp.)!"

Wow, now there seems to be a couple of genera in need of a proper revision! ....

 bibliography for the genus (http://biodiversitylibrary.org/name/Graphopsocus) returns many more publications than you do!

 ________________________________

 8:30 PM
> Subject: [Taxacom] BioNames
>

> Dear All,
>
> I've released "BioNames", a database of animal (and other ICZN) names linked, wherever possible, to either a digital identifier for the publication that described it, or (even better) the full text (from BioStor and other digital archives). I've wrapped this an interface built with Ryan Schrenk (whose elegant work was funded by EOL). BioNames combines data from ION, BHL, CrossRef, Mendeley, GBIF, NCBI, EOL (yes, a veritable acronym soup) to make something I hope people find useful.
>
> The web site is here: http://bionames.org/
>
> It's basic (this was built to a deadline) but functional (albeit with the usual issues concerning gaps and errors). There's a blog post about it here: http://iphylo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/bionames-now-live-report-on-project.html
>
> If you want some quick links into interesting pages,
 try:

> http://bionames.org/taxa/gbif/2432946  (make sure you click on the "bibliography tab")
>
> http://bionames.org/authors/R%20D%20Price
>
> http://bionames.org/authors/R%20Mesibov
>
> http://bionames.org/taxa/ncbi/261974
>
> http://bionames.org/taxa/ncbi/51026
>
> http://bionames.org/references/21f41b69cf44c2dee6b4c1d3307e428f
>
> http://bionames.org/taxa/gbif/9491
>
> Regards
>
> Rod

> Roderic Page
> Professor of Taxonomy
> Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine
> College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences
> Graham Kerr Building
> University of Glasgow
> Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
>
> Email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk