[Taxacom] BioNames

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sun Jun 2 03:18:52 CDT 2013

Hi Bob,

I didn't use Catalogue of Life because the BioNames is primarily about the link between a name and its publication. In an ideal world we should be able to see the original publication (and any subsequent revision) of a taxon name. This relationship strikes me as a basic part of the biodiversity infrastructure.

The bibliographic data in CoL is a mixture of good, poor, and horribly mangled. I chose ION as the source because it is fairly comprehensive (not complete, but a good place to start). Your experience suggests it does pretty well for millipedes. Browsing BioNames indicates that there are more references lurking in BHL and elsewhere that could be added. If you send me your list I could target those species as well.

Regards

Rod

Sent from my iPhone