[Taxacom] BioNames

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jun 3 08:24:32 CDT 2013

Hi Erik,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I need to do a bit of work on this, but for now there are a coupe of ways to get the data.

1. There is a crude Darwin Core Archive dump at http://bionames.org/data/darwincore/bionames.zip (warning, ~144 Mb) This has names, references, and map between names and reference.

2. The site is driven by an API, so to get JSON for an item you basically go:

http://bionames.org/api/id/<id of thing>

For example

http://bionames.org/api/id/gbif/2181035

http://bionames.org/api/id/cluster/4898672

http://bionames.org/api/id/1667d7808f224c1de6ed8a0c811f8ce6

I hope to make this more obvious by adding buttons on the web pages, and also support other formats people my be interested in.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rod

On 2 Jun 2013, at 14:12, Erik Rijkers wrote:

>> This is not rocket science.
>>

>  As you undoubtedly know, it's quite feasible
> nowadays to slurp billions of rows into a local
> database, even on laptop hardware.
>
> Therefore: is there any chance you could  make links
> available as downloadable files (or whatever
> machine-readable/ -parsable format causes you
> least trouble)?
>
>  I for one would be delighted to be able to /locally/ play
> with datasets like these.
>

> Thanks
>
> Erik Rijkers

Roderic Page