[Taxacom] BioNames altmetrics and renting articles

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jun 3 11:17:16 CDT 2013

Just to change the subject a little, one nice thing about having a bibliographic database like BioNames, especially one with identifiers such as DOIs, is that we can do some interesting things.

For example, how much buzz does a taxonomic paper generate? Tools like http://altmetric.com can tell us. As an experiment I've embedded their widget in BioNames (only works for recent papers with DOIs). For example go to http://bionames.org/references/9574ad7c34bad0684faf8367431a3a7d, click on the "About" tab and see the level of engagement about the ZooKeys paper "An extraordinary new family of spiders from caves in the Pacific Northwest (Araneae, Trogloraptoridae, new family)".

The second experiment is integration with DeepDyve http://www.deepdyve.com If you haven't come across this it's an article-renting service, and they have a free option where you get to read an article for 5 minutes. I'm experimenting with a feature where BioNames figures out if an article is available in DeepDyve and gives you the link. For example, try http://bionames.org/references/e5249df9741347eccfba182c64936ab2

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy