[Taxacom] human involvement (was Re: BioNames)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Jun 3 17:13:10 CDT 2013

On 6/3/13 1:57 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> The answer is simple: less automated and more human involvement in the aggregation process, combined with an efficient and transparent system for feedback regarding errors, by anyone who notices them (preferably with the history all logged and publicly archived) ...

Many of us have been saying this for many years now.

This approach, however, faces an extreme challenge from either side of
the equation: (1) you can't actually design a proposal where ALL of the
necessary labor would be funded, because that would require hiring
thousands of people (some of you will recall the "All-Species"
initiative, which promised to do just that), and (2) if the labor is all
unpaid (an approach which, in essence, has been/is being tried), then
any such proposal won't offer much incentive (or guidance) to the
volunteers - and good luck finding several thousand skilled volunteers
who all have access to all of the necessary original literature.

Realistically, one either needs to improve the incentive for
participation in the system (such as making participation effectively
mandatory, as happens with GenBank), or find a way to fund a large but
manageable number of experts who can then coordinate and oversee
volunteers within a discipline (or do much of the work themselves,
full-time). On my more cynical days, it occurs to me that no one is
interested in the latter approach because, if the taxasphere was divvied
up into equal parcels (e.g., having 200 experts responsible for, say, no
fewer than 10,000 taxa apiece), at least 75% of the positions would go
to invertebrate taxonomists.

Sincerely,