[Taxacom] human involvement (was Re: BioNames)

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Jun 3 17:28:21 CDT 2013

Well, certainly one BIG disincentive for fixing errors in other people's work is if they then obliterate all trace of the error and who pointed it out to them! It's just a matter of wanting to advertise one's sharp eye and general level of knowledge about the issue in question a bit, rather than just doing somebody else's work for them, unpaid! Fair enough? I'm sure many taxonomists/other people would be somewhat motivated to point out an error if they happened to encounter it. It would be better if the scientific community had more of a "community spirit" to contribute, like the Wiki community does! At any rate, even if the human scrutiny idea doesn't take off, every little bit helps, and if there isn't the facility to do it, then it isn't going to happen at all. Assuming that there is actually a user base for GBIF, etc. (is anyone using it?), then they must surely want to try to eliminate error as far as is feasible to do so? So, let the crowd loose on
 the data ...

Stephen