[Taxacom] human involvement (was Re: BioNames)

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Jun 3 17:56:53 CDT 2013

I fully agree with both Doug and Stephen on this.  I think that one of the
answers is to build in what Paddy Patterson calls (or used to call)
"Delightful Services" -- features that potential users and would-be
contributors enjoy about using the site, such that it's actually fun and
easy to make corrections.  This was the thinking behind the new BHL page
links on ZooBank (actually, that was always the vision, but it's one of the
nice perks about having that feature). And I see a lot of potential for this
sort of thing on BioNames (hint, hint, Rod....maybe add some more
crowd-sourcing features?).

As for Stephen's point about crediting people, the GNUB data model tracks
all of this very effectively.  You can see some of the information on the
bottom half of this page:
http://zoobank.org/statistics

...however, that's just the tip of the iceberg.  There is a robust Edit
Logging feature that keeps track of every change made by every user to ever
record and every field.  We haven't yet had time to implement this on the
website yet, but it's certainly part of the plan.

For example, I hope Stephen won't mind me reporting publicly that, as of
this moment, he has:

- Registered 430 Authors in ZooBank
- Registered 811 Publications in ZooBank
- Registered 3,741 Names in ZooBank
- Created 12,630 individual data records in GNUB
- Edited/updated/corrected 6,709 field values from 4,738 different data
records in GNUB

[Note, the ZooBank registrations are included within the numbers of GNUB
database records.]

ALL of this work was done manually, by hand -- not by automation or bulk
data imports.

Personally, I find that extraordinary, and on our "To-Do" list for ZooBank
and GNUB is to create a "Hall of Fame" page to honor Stephen and others like
him for their generous contributions to the broader community.

The amazing thing (to me, anyway), is that much of this work was done before
there were really any "delightful services" built into ZooBank.  As we now
start to introduce those services, my hope is that others like Stephen (and
the other individuals listed on http://zoobank.org/statistics -- as well as
all contributors to GNUB & ZooBank) will find some sort of
satisfaction/benefit in using these web tools (GNUB, ZooBank, BioNames,
GBIF, EOL, and all the others) such that when they find errors they are able
to correct, or new content they are able to enter, they will do so.

But part of the key is to break down the barriers between the data "silos".
The incentive to enter content in ZooBank is moderate, for its own sake.
But if entering a record or a data correction in ZooBank automatically made
that new record or correction available through all the other relevant
online data resources (aka, the alphabet soup), and vice-versa, then people
would feel a HUGE satisfaction.

Imagine, for example, entering an ant record in ZooBank and seeing it show
up within a few seconds in Hymenoptera Name Server.  And ITIS/Sp2000/CoL.
And EoL.  And GBIF. And on and on.  We are tantalizingly close to seeing
some of this behind-the-scenes cross-linking happening (especially after the
recent Pro-iBiosphere meeting in Berlin).  Several major NSF-funded projects
(GNA, BiSciCol, iDigBio, FilteredPush, and several others) are now getting
close to maturity such that these envisioned services will more and more
start to appear as reality. Pensoft and other publishers are developing
tools to automate the flow of new content into these systems.

Personally, I find all of this stuff incredibly exciting.  Of course, there
are many on this list who know that I lean towards optimism; so my glasses
may very-well be too rose-colored.

Aloha,
Rich

GBIF,