[Taxacom] Open access?

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Jun 5 03:49:33 CDT 2013

Hi,

I certainly think it would be good to specify that an electronic publication would meet the requirements of the ICZN as a published article ONLY if it was open access. It is a pity that this was not done when Article 8.5 was introduced - it is almost certainly too late now. As I see it, it was a fantastic opportunity was missed that would have made taxonomy hugely more accessible at a stroke. It would also have made it cheaper because the cost of publishing taxonomy (especially large-scale revisionary works of the sort that are badly needed) could have been reduced to virtually nill.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids