[Taxacom] Open access?

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Jun 5 05:44:01 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

I am not talking about copyright, but I do totally agree with the NHM retaining copyright of images. In most cases this has no affect whatsoever on the usage of these images. It is only when they are being used for commercial purposes the copyright comes into force (at least so far as I am aware).

Back to publishing :--

In reality, publishing open access can be virtually free. Strictly speaking all you need to produce a top quality electronic publication that is ICZN compliant is some sort of software that can produce high quality PDFs such as InDesign and an ISBN number. In my view, a work published electronically in this way can be vastly superior, in terms of quality (especially images),  to a work that is printed on paper or even produced commercially as a PDF. It is even possible to include thousands of  good quality colour images at no extra cost!

Using this model the cost of publishing can be circumvented. Only those who are being "encouraged" (forced) by their employers or funding agencies to publish in high ranking journals lose out. Employers or funding agencies that insist on publication in high rating journals, should foot the costs of publishing in these journals. I do agree that some of these journals have at least one value-added aspect (such as XML mark up). However, most of us that produce revisionary or monographic works cannot afford that.

As I see it the high cost of publishing is a huge impediment to making good taxonomy cheaper and more easily available to all. This is especially the case now when publishing can cost virtually nothing.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids